Does your church have a leadership development programme? If so, are you really training leaders, or just more volunteers?
No one would deny that volunteers are essential but, in Mike Breen's words, "A volunteer is someone who executes someone else's vision. A leader is someone with a vision of their own."
Breen says that an even more worrying prospect than having a "genius with a thousand helpers" kind of church, is that leadership development programmes are not turning out leaders for the mission, but for church maintenance.
Again, no one would deny that church organisation needs to be kept running along smoothly, but what happened to the missio Dei?
"[W]e must learn again the art that Jesus mastered: the task of multiplying missional leaders and releasing them to the cracks and crevices of society where there is little-to-no Kingdom presence," says Breen.
Breen's new book Multiplying Missional Leaders is a practical and thoughtful guide to unleashing a missional movement of disciples.
Multiplying Missional Leaders: From half-hearted volunteers to a mobilized Kingdom Force
by Mike Breen
© 2012 3DM
- Loan Resources as at 4 March 2013
- Church Health & Development overview
- Transitional Ministry Guidelines and Tasks of a Church in Transition
- Back to Church Sunday - PowerPoint audio
- Back to Church Sunday PowerPoint
- Church Health and Development Background Information
- Self Study Outline and Life Cycle
- Weekend Format
- Back To Church Sunday
- How To Guide