Sustainable Funding workshop – Dunedin
ASB Community Trust public meeting
This year’s ASB Community Trust public meetings will be the first opportunity to give the community details of the Trust’s funding priorities for the next five years. The meetings will be held at:
- Auckland - Monday, 13 August at 2pm in the Mangere Arts Centre.
- Kaitaia - Saturday, 1 September at 1pm in the Te Ahu Centre.
Volunteering New Zealand is selling books by Linda Graff, a Canadian expert in volunteerism. Note: postage and handling are extra to the prices shown below:
- Better Safe: Risk Management in Volunteer Programs & Community Service – an overview of risk management $47.
- Beyond Police Checks: The Definitive Volunteer & Employee Screening Guidebook - screening processes and tools $47.
- Best of All: The Quick Reference Guide To Effective Volunteer Involvement - written specifically for volunteer volunteer coordinators in organisations, such as in churches $47.
- By Definition: Policies for Volunteer Programs - general and specific policies for a volunteer programme $37.
To order copies, email
and advise your delivery address and the book titles/number of copies you require. Payments are by direct debit. An invoice can be emailed with a purchase order number if required.
Introduction to Managing Volunteers course
This NZ-written and based online course is for those new to managing volunteers or those wishing to brush up on their skills. The six-week course costs $301.55. Next courses: 30 July - 7 September, or 22 October - 30 November 2012. Enrol before 23 June and you will go into a draw for to win the enrolment fee back. For more info see the Volunteering New Zealand/Xperts website http://volunteer.xperts.co.nz.
Health & Disability advocates
Advocates from the Nationwide Health & Disability Advocacy Service are trying to connect with churches and community groups in the North Shore (Auckland) and Rodney areas, to see if they would like to book a free education session on the advocacy service and Consumer Code of Rights (as relates to health and disability). If you are interested, contact their office on 09 441 9001 or 0800 555 050. If you are outside those areas, call the 0800 number to find out whether advocates in your area can offer training or advice in these matters.
Baptist Maori Ministries has bulk quantities of two Christian music CDs which they can sell at discounted prices to groups for fundraisers. The CDs are:
- Gospel Gold - featuring Al Green, K-Ci & Jojo and Mary Mary, and local Gospel / Soul legends Adeaze, Aaradhna and Cydel. 50-99 CDs $10 each + p&p, 100+ CDs $8 each + p&p
- Praise Be – double CD featuring choral music from the TVNZ programme. 50+ CDs $18 each + p&p.
Coping with medical illness and the changes with ageing
Domestic violence candlelight vigil
South Auckland Family Violence Prevention Network (SAFVPN) has organised a public Matariki Candlelight Vigil to be held at 6.00am Thursday 21 June 2012 on Mangere Mountain. The vigil will commemorate the approximately 100 NZ women and children who have died through domestic violence or child abuse in our country and overseas over the past five years. Local schoolchildren will be some of the more than 500 people expected at the event, which will be opened by Hon Dr Pita Sharples, MP for Tamaki Makaurau and Minister of Maori Affairs.
Community Fruit Harvesting
This initiative was started by Di Celliers (Windsor Park Baptist Church), and has spread to several other centres. Basically it is a group that collects fruit from back yards and orchards around New Zealand and shares it with charities, either in its whole state or processed (e.g. marmalade).